Hey everybody! Happy Monday!! So with all the amazing sewers showcasing their talents, sharing their knowledge and starting their own businesses, you may be wondering...."should I start sewing?" My opinion...YES! You'll never know if you like it or not, if you never try! But before you go out and buy your first machine, I want to give you 5 things to consider!
- Patience! - Most of the time, you only see the final garment in all its glory, and chances are it took a lot of time and patience, to get to that end result. Will you have patience to see your projects through to the end, or will you be the seamstress with a unfinished pile of pretty fabric in the corner??!!!
- Learning! - Like any other new thing that you decide to try, you have to be willing to learn! Same thing goes with sewing. Just because you took 1 class at Joann, does not make you a NY Fashion Designer! LOL!! Give yourself time to grow, develop, and learn...that is if you want to be great!) I want to be great, so I plan to stay a student, and surround myself with advanced sewers, sponging up all their awesomeness!! I'm even taking a sewing course right now!!
- Invest! - I want you to consider investing! Don't get me wrong, starting out you don't need sergers and all the cool sewing tools, but you do need a basic sewing machine, and some great scissors! Dual scissors will only mess up your fabric, and waste your money. And just for kicks, if you decide you want to recreate looks of red-carpet events (similar drape, color)...$1/yard fabric will not provide that quality. You have to invest in your craft, and yourself!
- Addiction! - LOL! Yes...are you ready to be addicted?! Sewing is addictive! You will quickly become a fabric and pattern hoarder! Its like the unknown creative side in you awakens and you have to feed it! You WILL become a coupon lady, because you won't enter Joann without one!! And you will fall in love with the process of being inspired, and bringing your inspiration to life....over and over again!!!
- The 5th and FINAL thing I want you to consider before you start sewing is....FUN! Are you ready to have fun? :)! Rather you plan to just sew for yourself or others...its so rewarding and fun! Thats why I encourage you if you're wondering should I, or shouldn't I....give it a try! You may love it, you may not, but not trying is NOT an option!!!
I hope you enjoyed the post today, and let me know if you plan to give sewing a try if you've been thinking about it!