Happy Friday everybody!!! This beast of a jacket is finally done, and I'm so ready to share it with you and give you some tips that I know will help if you plan to make McCalls 7549 View A. Honestly, this jacket almost took me out! I was about 2 seconds from throwing it in the trash but thanks to my sew sistas encouraging words, I was able to push through!! I say it not to keep you from sewing this pattern, but to prepare you! View A is time consuming but the end results is beautiful!!
For my fabric, I purchase a lightweight denim from Joann, along with my batting, and for the backing I just used a regular cotton. I wanted to make it in a black denim but I figured the quilting probably would be hard to see in a dark fabric, so I decided to go light like the pattern. My lining fabric is a plaid linen that I had left over from this top here! Now on to what I learned and what you need to know!!
First thing first, I WILL NEVER QUILT AGAIN!! LOL! Never! Quilters have a special type of patience that I don't have. Lol! They are truly the REAL MVPS!! When you go to buy your supplies for View A..
- make sure to get at least 3-4 spools of thread
- pay attention to the pattern layout. Some pieces need to be faced down, however the pattern guide DOES NOT show them faced down.
- DO NOT quilt the entire quilting guide pieces. You will have 3 quilting guides in your pattern. Instead of trying to quilt huge pieces of fabric, I recommend...
- you transfer all your quilting lines to your backing fabric
- lay your pattern pieces on the quilting guide according to the pattern layout
- cut out your pattern adding at least an inch around the ENTIRE pattern, you want to have extra around your actual pattern piece for the quilting, in case things shift a bit
- after you're done quilting all the pieces, then lay your pattern pieces back over it and cut the excess off
- if you have a walking foot, use it. It'll help keep your layers together nicely
This jacket took me about 2.5 days from cut to hem to finish. I have many mistakes, like MANY!! Lol The puckering and uneven seams are real, but oh how I love her!! Let me know below if you plan to make this jacket, and if you have already let me know your thoughts!!
Oh yeah...I have a Sew With Me video coming up for this jacket!! Stay tuned!!