Happy Hump Day everybody!!! Since I'm such a pattern collector (hoarder LOL!!) I thought it would be cool to show you the first pattern I ever attempted to sew! More importantly, tell you why I never finished it!!!
When I first bought my sewing machine, I started out making maxi skirts and pajama pants for our boys. That gradually grew to making pillows, and then sewing with patterns. I knew of patterns because my mom used them, and I would help out with cutting, notching and marking. So one day as I'm walking through Walmart sewing section, I saw this super cute dress I just had to make!!! Lol!!
First mistake I made was I bought the pattern without even looking at the measurements!!! So yeah, it didn't fit!! Second mistake, it wasn't a beginners pattern! I can remember now, reading the first step: STAYSTITCH! I was like what?? but why??...SKIP!!! LOL! Everything was wrong!! From buying the wrong fabric, to not cutting the right pieces. My excitement was gone, the frustration was real and I never finished that dress!!!
Beginner First Pattern Buyer Guide:
1. Buy a beginners pattern: McCalls Learn To Sew, Simplicity It's So Easy, Aprons, Pajamas or try to find a Youtube video that has been done on a beginners pattern, and follow along.
2. Take your measurements and compare them to the pattern.
3. Buy correct type, and yardage of fabric. Check out the fabric suggestions, and pay close attention to 45" or 60" width of fabric, it's important.
4. Buy all your pattern notions. Thread, elastic, etc.
5. PRE WASH YOUR FABRIC - while you pre-wash go over your pattern instructions. Circle anything that may be confusing and search it while you're waiting
6. Cut correct size on the pattern. Pay close attention if you have multiple pieces for the same number!!! Ex. piece 3 for size 14-16, piece 3 for size 18-22
7. DON'T SKIP STEPS. Even if you don't understand 1 or 2, calm down, and figure it out. Ask in a FB group, anything just don't SKIP!
8. Take your time. So what if it takes you 3 days!! Nobody watching! Rushing though your first pattern, could lead to mistakes, which lead to the seam ripper, which leads to an unfinished project!!!!
9. Have Fun!!!
I'm so happy I didn't let that stop me from sewing! If I did, I wouldn't be in love with patterns today or be a proud collector!! Lol! When I flip through my pattern binder and see it, I remember where I started and then think about finishing it! One day I'm sure I'll tackle it again!! But until then, tell me what was your first pattern, and did you finish it?!!!