Hey everybody! Have you ever said you’re only going to Joanns for 1 thing..in and out..but stay over an hour? I do it all the time! I can’t stand it when I don’t stick to the plan, or worse; go in there for 1 thing, come out with 10 but not the 1 thing I went in for in the first place!!! I know I’m not the only one that do this!!
So to help out on our next store trip, I created 5 steps to really get us in and get out….
- Plan the night before: Everything starts with a plan, and every successful thing stuck to the plan. Figure out the number of projects you want to sew, search for new patterns that you want to make, write down the pattern numbers and fabric choices including how much you will need and all the notions for each project.
- Do a supply check: Nothing is worse than thinking you already have a 12’’ invisible zipper at home, and getting back from the store to realize it was a 7’’ zipper!!! LOL. Check to see what supplies you’re running low on.
- Go during “slow” hours: You ever trying to do a quick in and out shop, and get to the cut line with your bolt and its 6 people in front of you, carts full, with one cutter!!! LOL That is a true test of patience!!! Some of y’all be thinking about cutting it yourself right!!!! LOL. Call ahead and find out when their slow hours are to avoid this very true situation!
- Set a REAL budget: I’m the first to say I’m only spending $XX in this store today, and leave out with a receipt that says $XXX!! How that happen? You know why, you didn't stick to a REAL budget.... probably because you did step 5..
- No wondering eyes: This is hard for me because I see something pretty and I’m all over it! You can’t effectively shop if your eyes wonder at everything that’s pretty...everything in the fabric store is pretty...even the solids look brighter when you’re trying to stay focused! Last thing you want is to go off your plan, and go over your budget. Just note it, and go back another day when you can take your time!
Don’t forget those coupons!!
I hope you can take 1 if not ALL of these steps and use them for your next shopping trip to get in and out quickly, get only what you need, and stay on budget!!
Talk to you all in the next post